That’s right we’re talking bacon today!
I’m watching cupcake wars. They had a challenge to make cupcakes with bacon in it. Have you ever heard of that before? I sure have not.
So anyways people made a bacon burbank cupcake and jalapeño bacon infused cupcake. I was feeling inspired so I’m going to give you a bacon cupcake recipe. If you make it yourself let me know what you think!
The first step I believe in is to start up some fun music!
Maple Bacon Cupcake
* 1/4 cup of minced bacon, cooked and drained
* 4 1/2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
* 1/2 tablespoon bacon drippings (left in the fridge to become solid)
* 1 egg
* 5 tablespoons brown sugar
* 4 tablespoons maple syrup
* 1 1/4 cups self rising flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* tiny tiny pinch kosher salt
* 1/4 cup milk
What to do
* 1) Cook some bacon in a fry pan (about 6 thick strips). Reserve the drippings and place in the fridge to solidify. Mince 1/4 a cup of the bacon. The chef should eat whatever is left to assure that the bacon is tasty.
* 2) Beat the crud out of the butter and solidified bacon fat ’till light and creamy. Add the brown sugar and maple syrup and beat well until combined.
* 3) Add the egg and beat until incorporated.
* 4) Sift the flour, salt, baking soda and powder together.
* 5) Add some of the flour and mix, then some of the milk, then continue to alternate the dry and wet ingredients, ending with the dry. Mix until just combined. Fold in the bacon. Taste and add more maple syrup, flour, or milk if needed for desired taste. Keep in mind the maple frosting is very sweet, and to add in very small increments for alterations as maple syrup in large amounts can break a cake batter.
* 6) Scoop into cupcake papers and bake at 350 F for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Be sure to rotate the pan after the first 15 minutes for even baking.
For added fun here is the frosting!
Maple Syrup Frosting
*4 tablespoons of butter.
* 2 tablespoons of maple syrup.
* 1 cup of powdered sugar.
* turbinado sugar (optional, but recommended).
* coarse grain sea salt (optional, but recommended).
What to do
*Combine the syrup and butter until combined. Add the sugar, a bit at a time, and whip at high speeds until combined. Pipe or spread onto cupcakes. Sprinkle on sea salt and turbinado sugar for decoration and a lot of added flavor.
*Add some crumbled BACON too!
This recipe comes from bacontoday.com they have a lot of recipes so go check them out as well!
I have not tried to make these cupcakes or even tried tasting a bacon cupcake. So do me a favor and please tell me how it turns out. Also if you have any suggestions on how to make it healthier let us know.